Thursday, March 8, 2012

Confessions of a Meathead.

About a month ago I met with a trainer at the Princeton Club.
I told him my weight-loss goals. 
I want to lose 50 pounds. 
He showed me strength training exercises to do. 
He recommended cardio machines and techniques.
He showed me how to stretch.
He advised me to work out an hour and a half per visit. 
At this point in my life, I had a job. 
So I told him I could work out 4 times a week.
He was nice.
So, I’ve been working out for month.
I was hoping to pick up jogging again. It was something I really enjoyed from the summer. And something I could measure my progress by. 
The Princeton club does have a track. It’s a little track that circles all the workout machines and equipment. Ten loops is a mile. 
I have learned that I prefer to jog outside. Inside the gym is artificial and stale. I spend most of my time trying to memorize what lap I’m on. When I jog inside, I can stop at any time. But when I’m jogging outside, I have to get back home. I can’t stop whenever. I still have to walk back wherever I am. It forces me to focus and just jog. 
I may have mentioned in a previous post, but before joining the gym, I hadn’t exercised in MONTHS! It’s too darn cold and icy outside! 
When I tried to jog a mile. I couldn’t do it. 
It took me about a week of continual jogging around that tiny track to finally be able to do it. 
Now that I’m unemployed, I work out everyday. Two hours a day. 
Yeah. Two hours. I feel like a meathead. 
Where’s my protein shake?

No comments:

Post a Comment