Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Good bye, cheese! I shall miss your deliciousness.

For every diet plan, there are a half a dozen that contradict the science behind it. There’s the Atkins diet (low carb diet), the low fat diet, zone diet, low calorie diet, eat-till-you’re-full-diet, cut-everything-delicious-out-of-diet diet, the anorexic diet, the bulimic diet...meh, it’s enough to make a girl dizzy. 
Even the amount of water a person should drink is highly disputed. Some say drink 8 cups of water a day, drink half your weight in ounces, drink 2.2 liters of water a day...
Here’s what I know to be true:
  1. in order to lose weight, burn more calories than you take in.
  2. Drink water....like a fish...and that’s a lot of water.
  3. Pork and shellfish are dirty meat. ( I don’t eat it!)
  4. If you can’t pronounce an ingredient in a packaged food product, and that ingredient isn’t typically in your spice cabinet, then it has no business being in your body.
  5. The more colorful your meal is, the healthier it is.
In all the research I’ve done up until this point I have found one constant: portion control. 
Normally, if something tastes delicious I have a second or third helping of it. But, that’s definitely a pretty big problem. Going hand-in-hand with portion control is stopping right before you’re full. This is because you’re stomach is full before you’re brain tells you...or something of that nature...I got a “C” in most of my science classes...  This will probably be the hardest thing for me. When I eat, I eat till I’m stuffed. It will be interesting to only just feel full, or even not quite full. 
So, this my current eating plan:
  1. Cut out 95% of dairy from my diet. (I think cheese is my weight’s undoing. Oh goodness, it’s delicious).
  2. Eat slower.
  3. No seconds.
  4. Stop eating right before I’m full.
  5. Drink at least a gallon of water a day. (Hey, I’m in California, it’s super dry!)
  6. No sodas or sugary drinks.
  7. No refined sugars.
I’m sure my plan will be amended throughout the summer. I’m sure I might slip up. But it gives me something to start out with. 
I will be posting everything I eat to keep myself accountable.

1 comment:

  1. Check out the documentary Fat Heads. It will blow your mind about food.

    ReplyDelete