For every diet plan, there are a half a dozen that contradict the science behind it. There’s the Atkins diet (low carb diet), the low fat diet, zone diet, low calorie diet, eat-till-you’re-full-diet, cut-everything-delicious-out-of-diet diet, the anorexic diet, the bulimic diet...meh, it’s enough to make a girl dizzy.
Even the amount of water a person should drink is highly disputed. Some say drink 8 cups of water a day, drink half your weight in ounces, drink 2.2 liters of water a day...
Here’s what I know to be true:
- in order to lose weight, burn more calories than you take in.
- Drink water....like a fish...and that’s a lot of water.
- Pork and shellfish are dirty meat. ( I don’t eat it!)
- If you can’t pronounce an ingredient in a packaged food product, and that ingredient isn’t typically in your spice cabinet, then it has no business being in your body.
- The more colorful your meal is, the healthier it is.
In all the research I’ve done up until this point I have found one constant: portion control.
Normally, if something tastes delicious I have a second or third helping of it. But, that’s definitely a pretty big problem. Going hand-in-hand with portion control is stopping right before you’re full. This is because you’re stomach is full before you’re brain tells you...or something of that nature...I got a “C” in most of my science classes... This will probably be the hardest thing for me. When I eat, I eat till I’m stuffed. It will be interesting to only just feel full, or even not quite full.
So, this my current eating plan:
- Cut out 95% of dairy from my diet. (I think cheese is my weight’s undoing. Oh goodness, it’s delicious).
- Eat slower.
- No seconds.
- Stop eating right before I’m full.
- Drink at least a gallon of water a day. (Hey, I’m in California, it’s super dry!)
- No sodas or sugary drinks.
- No refined sugars.
I’m sure my plan will be amended throughout the summer. I’m sure I might slip up. But it gives me something to start out with.
I will be posting everything I eat to keep myself accountable.